We have provided answers below to some frequently asked questions about the cost of funerals as well as how to prepay your funeral with Guardian Plan.
If you don't find an answer to your question, please call us on 1800 773 752.
- Why plan ahead for your funeral?
- Why prepay with Guardian Plan?
- What does a funeral cost?
- What costs can be covered by Guardian Plan?
- Can you pay by installments?
- What happens to the money I pay?
- Who manages the funds?
- Are some things best left until later?
- What if repatriation is needed?
- Can I cancel my Guardian Plan?
- It allows you to consider alternatives and make decisions concerning your funeral in your own time.
- You will feel better knowing your affairs are in order and your wishes will be carried out as planned.
- You will have peace of mind knowing that once your funeral details have been documented in a contract, the uncertainty concerning your final wishes will be lifted from the shoulders of your family and friends.
- You save by paying for tomorrow’s funeral at today’s price. You are protected against inflation and price increases because no further charges are made on the items selected by you for your funeral plan contract – ever.
- You relieve your family from the financial burden of your funeral.
- Your pension is not adversely affected.
- If you move interstate your plan may be able to be transferred to another of Guardian Plan’s participating funeral directors or providers at no extra charge.
- You are able to cover the added expense of repatriation to your home town should your death occur while you are away from home.
Guardian Plan selects funeral directors and consultants to act as representatives based on their integrity, reliability, empathy and above all, experience.
Guardian Plan is able to ensure the services provided in your plan are available through participating funeral directors in Australia.
The actual cost of a funeral depends very much upon your particular needs and wishes. A Guardian Plan consultant will be happy to meet with you to discuss your options and help you clearly set down your wishes. GST is applicable to pre-arranged funerals.
Use our online funeral calculator to compare the cost of a Prepaid Funeral Plan with Guardian Plan against a funeral insurance policy.
If you would like more information on the main components in the cost of a funeral, please visit the Funeral Advice website.
- The transfer of the deceased during business hours from the place of death within a 70 kilometre radius of the participating (nominated) funeral director.
- Professional consultation at the time of death to explain your wishes and involve those left behind in arranging additional services such as organising of newspaper notices and ordering flowers if required.
- Interim care for the deceased prior to the funeral.
- Supply of coffin or casket.
- Presentation for viewing, prayers and professional attendance at the funeral, chapel, church, crematorium or graveside.
- Completion of documents necessary to enable registration of death to facilitate the burial or cremation.
- Provision of necessary vehicles.
- Instructions to the crematorium or cemetery.
Whilst planning the funeral details with your Guardian Plan consultant, you are encouraged to clearly record your choice of cremation or burial.
Should you wish to pre-purchase a right of burial (including burial plots, crypts and related monument works) or cremation, your Guardian Plan consultant will assist you to make contact directly with the appropriate cemetery or crematorium.
Once the price of your Guardian Plan is agreed, you can either:
- pay in full; or
- pay by regular monthly instalments
By authorising a direct debit against your bank account you do not have to worry about remembering to make the payments – it happens automatically.
Should you elect to pay by instalment; an initial contribution up front will be required. This will be followed up by monthly instalments over a period to suit you - up to 36 months.
Once all instalments have been received on time, the previously agreed Guardian Plan price is fixed forever.
If the Guardian Plan is required before the instalments are fully paid, then provided your payments are up-to-date, Guardian Plan may on request, ensure that all instalments are put towards the agreed cost of the actual funeral with the participating Guardian Plan funeral director. Any shortfall will be payable to the funeral director at that time.
Upon acceptance of your application, the funds are invested with The Over Fifity Guardian Friendly Society Limited (Society) on your behalf. The Society will confirm your membership and initial investment. Although you have assigned the benefit of your investment to Guardian Plan, the funds cannot be accessed by Guardian Plan until the contracted service has been provided.
You should read closely the Society’s disclosure document. It has important information about your rights, the Society and your membership. (You should not pay any money until you have read it.)
Once paid in full, you will receive the prepaid services when required in accordance with the contract arranged with Guardian Plan.
The Society appoints investment managers with appropriate expertise, experience and resources to manage the authorised investments of the funds.
The investment manager selects and manages investments for the funds in accordance with guidelines established by the Society.
It is Guardian Plan which bears the investment risk associated with your funds, not you.
Having completed your Guardian Plan prepaid funeral arrangement you know you have assisted those who will be left behind...now you can get on with enjoying your life.
It is important to leave some tasks to be completed at the time of the funeral. There is considerable evidence to suggest that people accept the reality of death, which in turn helps the grieving process to begin. Allowing your family, with the guidance and assistance of a funeral director, to organise newspaper notices, flowers, clergy, etc. gives them a meaningful role in planning your funeral within the context of your wishes.
A Travel Protection Plan* specifically provides for those additional funeral related costs which are incurred within Australia when death occurs whilst travelling away from the normal place of residence. Guardian Plan arranges your repatriation from anywhere in Australia to your nominated funeral director so your funeral can take place where you intended.
*Subject to terms and conditions contained in the Guardian Plan contract.
You are entitled to cancel the Guardian Plan within 30 days or such other period as required by legislation, of receiving The Society’s Policy Confirmation Letter.
After the Cooling off Period you cannot cancel or reduce the services written in the plan.